electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
SPIZM - M.E.S.S. at LaTrazza - Philadelphia - Sep 21, 2004
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: SPIZM - M.E.S.S. at LaTrazza - Philadelphia - Sep 21, 2004 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SPIZ Rippin it in Philadelphia
David, aka GSGA, and I drove down to Philly on Tuesday, September 21, 2004, to catch SPIZM, and M.E.S.S. See the announcement here. I took a few photos. See them here.

SPIZM is a drum and bass group from Chicago consisting of David Marzalek, drum, and Pablo Pascoll, bass. David, aka SPIZ, is a member of electro-music.com. When he introduced himself on the forum, I checked out his web site and heard some amazing drumming. When I saw he was coming to play in Philly, I decided to make the gig. When I learned he was playing with M.E.S.S., also a member here, I was really charged. I recently met David, GSGA, here on the site too, only to find we live only about two miles apart. This was an electro-music.com nite.

Anyone who has hung around here for a while knows I'm not a big Drum 'N Bass fan. To me, it often seems very uninteresting, and often I find it boring. Well, listening to SPIZM has certainly changed my tune. These guys take DNB to a level I've never heard before.

Dave is a virtuoso drummer. He plays complex beats with incredible speed and precision. His beats are fascinating - patterns I used to think could be made only with complex drum and groove machines. I now know can be played beautiful on a modest acoustic trap set. On the unprocessed drums, these glitches, slips, and shuffles are glorious.

Pablo is a fine bass play - no surprise. He's equally at home on stand up as electric. He like to play very simple bass lines and wild convoluted avant garde explosions - at the same time. The result is interesting and fun.

Together Dave and Pablo dazzle their audience. We were carefully listen to every beat and note. I enjoyed their playing tremendously.

M.E.S.S.
M.E.S.S. played his computer. He almost exclusively plays loops. Anyone who has hung around here for a while knows I'm not a big looper fan. To me, it often seems very uninteresting, and often I find it boring.

Well, listening to M.E.S.S. has opened me up to this form of electro-music. Akili is always, excuse the expression, messing with the loops so that things are always changing even though the basic construction is always the loop. He runs several simultaneously. The different loops have contrasting timbres and meters. The music transitions from section to section almost continuously. The sounds are pleasant in interesting. There is almost always a beat going on, but it's rarely overpowering.

SPIZM and M.E.S.S. played a small set where they jammed together. It was quite good, as you might expect. Dave played amazing complex rhythmic patterns the synchronized with M.E.S.S.'s loops. It was fab...

SPIZM
also played a set with a Sax player, a guest performer whose name I didn't get. Maybe someone can post his name in a reply post.

[Editor's note via PM from Spiz 23-sep-04:... the saxophone player is a chicago cat named Joe Grez, that plays tenor in my other project, Trioizm (which is also breakbeat/jungle oriented but more of a jazz feel...not so heavy as spizm, more fx on the electric bass as well). http://www.trioizm.com to get info and mp3's... ]

After the concert I realized that, thanks to SPIZM, I accept DNB as a classical music art form. With just acoustic drums and bass, it is as pure a musical expression as a string quartet. It's much louder though.

Last edited by mosc on Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great write up! Makes me wish I lived nearer Philly. Of course - maybe some day I'll catch Spizm in Chicago.

Great to see you change your opinion on two types of music that you found lacking before. I love it when someone opens up my horizons a bit in a similar way - whether catching someone live or catching a truly great album in a genre I had preconceived notions of not liking. It's sort of a great experience. I've found the old 80/20 rule pretty much works in everything (or at least too many things to count) - for every great transcendent experience like maybe seeing Spizm... there's another batch of bands that will live up to your previous expectations on dnb of being uninteresting... Wink

Speaking of drummers who can play things that I thought only machines could do - an old friend of mine could pull off syncopated bass drum rhythms (stutters/triplets/whatever) with one foot better then anyone else I'd heard using two feet - and once he got both feet going - wow - he was a freakin machine. Just fun to sit and listen to him let go and jam. He's in Mudvayne - different style of music - but even if you don't care for the music - listening to the drummer and the bass player is great fun.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the comments JKN.

Since posting this topic I've heard from MESS and SPIZ. It turns out that they met here on our site. I did not know that. So it was even more of an electro-music.com thing than I thought

To me this is major. .

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spiz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: It was major! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The La Tazza show proved to me the networking power of
the internet and moreso- connecting with people/artists thru
forums (like electro-music).

This show also pulled together the DnBass scene from philly
which none of us expected! The basement was for Spizm &
MESS & upstairs was the weekly dnb nite with dj's/mc's.

My bassist, mr dp, found himself not only doing the spizm
improvisations/set but collaborating overtop MESS's loops
and soundscapes & actually sitting in on upright bass (!!!)
with the dnb dj's, which apparently was hot! I missed it
only because I got wrapped-up with MESS's music with
my sax player, joe, who sat in at various points throughout
the nite. The show just turned into the pulling together of
numerous scenes, and it all gelled somehow.

dnb mc's wrapping hard over Spizm's jungle/gabba/idm
and us overtop mess's ambient explorations.

props electro-music.com...perhaps more collaborations
from artists on this site are on the way.

Thank you for the outstanding review and pix from the show.

MOSC, your camera is crazy bro...the infared dots it projects
as it aims, something i noticed while performing.

~spiz

www.spizm.com
www.trioizm.com
chicago, IL

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that event wouldn't have happened without electro-music.com. That's a fabulous feeling for me. It was all about openness, exploration and collaboration. Wonderful...

My camera is a Sony DSC-717 which is very strong in the low light shooting department. It can even shoot in total darkness by shining it's own infrared light. I wasn't using that mode when photographing this event. I was using the laser focus mode. The camera projects a bunch of red lines on the subject and it uses that to get a good auto focus. Often I turn this off because it can look like the artists are in the sights of some assassin's sniperscope. But, when I'm up and about moving around and obviously taking pictures, I turn it on because it makes for fast focus, and people easily realize the lights are coming from the camera. People in the future will no doubt be amazed that we used such primitive cameras in these dark ages.

jkn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha - yeah - I've scared a few people with my camera (same model as Howard's...).
gsga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm so glad Mosc and I got to see this. I've seen TONS of shows over the years, Punk/Hardcore/Indie/Noise/Electronic/Jazz, and I have to say without a doubt these guys were the best Drum/Bass combo I've ever seen. Pablo's playing was too fast and crazy to track. He could go from a chunky mellow groove to an all out spaz attack, instantly. Plucking the strings from the bridge, hitting them with a cig lighter?! Nuts.

SPIZ (Dave), if you are familiar with a little Pittsburgh band called DON CABALLERO... well, you kicked Damon Che's ass! I'm serious. He doesn't even come close. Dave has some mind-melting syncopations. And loud as HELL to boot.

Not to mention all the various improv senerios that were going on... Pablo/MESS especially.

An enlightening experience!
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jump to: