electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals » electro-music 2005
jams/improv
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
lord

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: jams/improv Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what's up with the jams and improv blocks on the schedule? Is someone structuring this in some way? This sounds like a fun part of the event.

Also, what is the distinction between the two? Jams are of interest to the performers and the later improv performances are of interest to the audience?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the jams are for people who want to jam without too much supervision except from themselves. If there is big demand for the jams, we may have some sort of signup proceedure. Jim Combs has volunteered to coordinate the jams.

The improvs are for perfromance groups that spontaneously develop during the event. We may have to moderate who gets those slots in some way if there is demand for them. We are encouraging people who are on Sunday night to be open to the possibility of jamming with others, but that's strictly up to the performers.

Sound vague and unstructured?

Yep... Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lord

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for clearing that up.

I am fine with anarchy.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We'll see how it goes. I think the jams will be relatively unstructured unless there are a lot of people who want to play at the same time. Then we might need some kind of sign-ups. Jim is going to manage this.
My thinking about the improvs is that they are performances, but the personnel would be groupings that formed out of the jams or otherwise came into existence during the event. I also asked Jim to help out with identifying the possibilities for this.
vostek

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think a relative tempo and key signature would be nice to start off with, dontcha think? Besides that I don't see much reason to structure it any further. If we have a lot of people jamming, we just have to leave it up to each other to restrain ourselves somewhat. IMHO, when doing this kind of thing, the best way to think of it is as additive synthesis. Each person adds an element of the sound; Less of the thick and busy loops/textures, more of the simpler waves that are centered in a particular portion of the spectrum; that way we get a final waveform that isn't too unintelligable.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're right, when there's lots of people involved, it's important that everyone be conscious of how they fit sonically. In my experience it's possible to make it work with a large group, but it's much easier with smaller groups, especially if the musicians have not played together before.
Probably the only kind of structure I would consider imposing would be to limit the number of people, or the length of time that a given group could play. At least to allow everyone get a chance who wants to jam.
Maybe some people will want to have jams with a certain theme, such as ambient, space music, rhythmic, melodic, jazzy, noise collage, experimental etc. Or people with the same instrument will want to have a session.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals » electro-music 2005
Jump to: