electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Problem with discrete potentiometer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sompost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:  Problem with discrete potentiometer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

For a MIDI controller I need a non-monotonic i.e. discrete potentiometer with only a few (4 and 6) different resistor values. I built one using a rotary switch and resistors between the positions to get discrete voltage levels between 5V and ground.

Here's the problem: While switching over, the center is temporarily disconnected, giving a random 0 value on an Arduino analog pin. To fix that, I wired a 100nF capacitor between the center and ground to hold the voltage between switch-overs. But now I get a spike when the capacitor discharges after a switch-over that throws off all discrete pots on the same voltage lines... Laughing

Perhaps the cap is too big?

Still, is there a simple way of making a discrete pot without switch-over "holes" and/or voltage spikes?

Thanks for your suggestions.

PS: If I can't get it sorted, I'll remove the cap and "bridge" the hole using software on the Arduino...

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You may be able to find a different kind of rotary switch which "makes (the new contact) before break (the old one)" or "shorting" .. like (first google hit here for it) https://nl.farnell.com/lorlin/ck1037/switch-4-pole-3-pos-0-15a-250v/dp/1123693
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had exact the same problem: In a circuit I used a 100NF cap for eliminating contact bounce, but when I switched the Arduino nano just completely restarted.
I mounted a resistor (I think) 330 ohm in series with the resistor: problem solved.

sompost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your suggestions.

Here's a (bad) image of the situation I have:
I've got 4 different voltages to choose between. The 5V and 3.3V are provided by the Arduino. A voltage divider provides the 1.7V. I've added capacitor behind the switch to hold the voltage between switch-overs (when the pole is floating temporarily). As can be seen, when switching from, say, 3.3V to 1.7V the line is forced to the 3.3V still stored in the cap, until it can discharge through the resistor to ground -- disrupting all other pots on the same 1.7V bus -- some of which randomly trigger changes on the Arduino, flooding the MIDI channel with parameter changes that never happened.

For a moment I thought that, perhaps, adding a diode after the switch would block the path back to the voltage busses, but then I'd need a resistor parallel to the cap to discharge it. Too much hassle.

I can see the benefit of the make-before-break option. I should have thought of that sooner.

Thanks again for your answers. I think I'm going to remove the caps. I can certainly smooth the reading of a single switch in software, but I don't really care to check every random change of a discrete pot to see if it's legit.

Perhaps I should stay away from electronics and stick to software.... scratch

DiscPot.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.3 KB
 Viewed:  168 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DiscPot.png

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm, maybe connect a large resistor (at least a factor 10 larger than the ones used for the voltage divider) between 3.3V and the output.
You will mostly be switching from or to 3.3V anyway and it will keep the voltage at 3.3V when the switch 'breaks'. It would also be a good idea
to buffer the 1.7V; add a small capacitor to GND and use an opamp configured as a voltage follower to buffer the voltage.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And then the other way would be to use a pot .. and make it discrete in software .. probably the cheapest way.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, a pot is also what I ended up using for the DW6000 controller for which I had also considered using a switch + resistors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: