electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Looking for advice for my intended ipad setup
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
JStro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Looking for advice for my intended ipad setup
Subject description: Just need some assistance making sure I'm looking at the right gear.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I recently bought an ipad with the intention of using it as sort of the brain of my music setup. I want to be able to get a setup that is open ended enough to allow for expansion, as well as hook in many inputs in a live setting.

So my endgame is to be able to run audio instruments, vocals, midi instruments, and drum pads/samplers through the ipad. I'm looking preferably for gear that is catered towards the ipad in some me way with accompanying apps. This is not completely necessary of course if the setup still functions as intended. It would also be nice to know some good software/apps that could assist. I'm looking to be able to run this all through a looping program and most likely have a few preset samples to trigger at points during shows. As well as fx processors and such.

I have been looking around and don't want to just start dropping cash without getting some advice from people who know more than I do about all this.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for advice for my intended ipad setup
Subject description: Just need some assistance making sure I'm looking at the right gear.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JStro wrote:
So I recently bought an ipad with the intention of using it as sort of the brain of my music setup. I want to be able to get a setup that is open ended enough to allow for expansion, as well as hook in many inputs in a live setting.

So my endgame is to be able to run audio instruments, vocals, midi instruments, and drum pads/samplers through the ipad. I'm looking preferably for gear that is catered towards the ipad in some me way with accompanying apps. This is not completely necessary of course if the setup still functions as intended. It would also be nice to know some good software/apps that could assist. I'm looking to be able to run this all through a looping program and most likely have a few preset samples to trigger at points during shows. As well as fx processors and such.

I have been looking around and don't want to just start dropping cash without getting some advice from people who know more than I do about all this.

To add audio inputs to the iPad, you will need the following:

Camera Connector - This adds a USB port to the iPad

Class Compliant USB Audio Interface - You plug this into the Camera Connector. You then plug your mic and other instruments into the interface. Either get an interface with the number of inputs to match what you need, or get an interface with two inputs plus an external mixer in front. This is a good list to look at: http://www.auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

To loop on iPad, take a look at Loopy HD. To route audio into Loopy HD, get Audiobus.

Some old stuff on VIRB
JStro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for your reply. I already have audiobus, loopy, some fx processors and all that. I was wondering more along the lines of a good keyboard/pad controller midi combo unit that would work well with a live ipad setup. Something that can trigger loops, create and loop beats live, and still have the keyboard controller as well. It seems I've come to a decent setup idea. With the focus rite Scarlett 6i6 as the interface. Just a solid pad/keyboard midi combo for a live setup would be nice.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JStro wrote:
... a solid pad/keyboard midi combo for a live setup would be nice.

There are quite a few MIDI controllers out there. I've not yet heard of any that are ones to avoid. It depends on your personal preferences. My favorite is the Clavia Nord Modular G2X. Comes with a free polyphonic modular synth too. Wink

welcome to electro-music.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JStro wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I already have audiobus, loopy, some fx processors and all that. I was wondering more along the lines of a good keyboard/pad controller midi combo unit that would work well with a live ipad setup. Something that can trigger loops, create and loop beats live, and still have the keyboard controller as well. It seems I've come to a decent setup idea. With the focus rite Scarlett 6i6 as the interface. Just a solid pad/keyboard midi combo for a live setup would be nice.

Among other iPad users I've seen some interest in Korg's new Taktile controllers (keyboards w/ pads). Some versions come with the Triton (Korg's best selling workstation ever) synth engine built-in. A lot of people also use M-Audio, Novation, Akai... all your usual commonly found stuff.

My own plan is to wait for the CME XKeys 37 to be released, because it has polyphonic aftertouch - would be great for taking advantage of IOS synths that support it (Nave, Animoog, etc.), as well as some hardware synths that I have that can respond to it but their keyboards cannot generate it.

There's a FB group called IOS Musician and the Audiobus forum if you want to research more options and opinions.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: