electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Fun useful tips
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 5 [113 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:
Anouther good practice with mains power is after insuring the power is off with a meter, turn your eyes away and short it with an insulated screwdriver.

When working with valve amps, it's a good idea to solder up a 2W bleeder resistor with alligator clips wired to each end. (I vaguely remember that just shorting it all the time is not good for some component, but I don't recall what.)

Make a habit of the first thing you do when the amp is showing it's guts, is to clip one end of the bleeder onto ground, and the other end onto the HT node, and leave it there until you want to power it up for testing.
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i recently found out that staples are an endless source of bridges for breadboard action,

watch out for coated staples they are not conducting
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when you drill a hole in a plastic enclosure with a 0.7mm drill bit
don't put your finger behind it.

(also made this thread a sticky)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if u are in the situation of
spending christmas soldering on a remote island
with no elecrtonicshop on spot -
and ur soldertip has gone
to where all soldertips will go one day -
a piece of fix copper wire will do the job
until the next ship will bring u home.
tested with 2,5mm².

Very Happy
santa
happy smoker

xxsun
gasboss775

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g.gabba wrote:
if u are in the situation of
spending christmas soldering on a remote island
with no elecrtonicshop on spot -
and ur soldertip has gone
to where all soldertips will go one day -
a piece of fix copper wire will do the job
until the next ship will bring u home.
tested with 2,5mm².

Very Happy
santa
happy smoker

xxsun

Sounds like the kind of thing I'd have done when I was 15, just to see if it would work! What did you use to power your DIY soldering iron?
gasboss775

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably an obvious tip, but some have said I lack common sense...

When soldering onto a PCB or onto a pot or jack, etc make sure the object is secure prior to commencing soldering, otherwise the result could be quite messy

PHOBoS wrote:
when you drill a hole in a plastic enclosure with a 0.7mm drill bit
don't put your finger behind it.

gabbagabi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no no!
only the tip!
only!

the rest should be prefabricated!

otherwise u risc to feel like him
Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not been on in a while. Ya all have no idea how good it made me feel to see people still posting on this thread.

Merry Christmas everyone.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

Happy holidays to all my fellow DIY folk! santa

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gasboss775

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seasons greetings all!

santa rendeer santa rendeer santa

party time!
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

merry christmas from summerrainy africa @25°
afro santa happy smoker love
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how to make pcb with Lochmaster
means u could make a stripboarddesign same time a pcb

pcb with Lochmaster1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.32 KB
 Viewed:  639 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

pcb with Lochmaster1.png

pcb with Lochmaster2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.21 KB
 Viewed:  644 Time(s)

pcb with Lochmaster2.png

pcb with Lochmaster3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.42 KB
 Viewed:  628 Time(s)

pcb with Lochmaster3.png

Ayab

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am working on a method of using radiator paint to iron a "silkscreen" parts placement image onto diy pcb's Idea

Have had some success Smile but have run into issues with the paint melting into the holes on a board where I put too much paint on Confused

- I will have to drill the paint out of the holes Rolling Eyes

Am currently frustrated that some of my printed parts placements that were correctly sized (by overlapping on the pcb foil printouts) have changed size (and several even became blank!?) just because I am going from illustrator format to pdf. Going to forget it for now and try another day.
Ayab

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laser print onto radiator paint with cheap chinese yellow transfer paper is quite reliable. With the right heat of iron for the right time (short as possible but so the transfer still works - obviously).

The paint sometimes melts into the holes & some have to be drilled out again.

But I really like to have a components guide.

Maybe if I got more used to not having a "silkscreen" on etched boards it would be better. Maybe it saves time. I don't really know but it was kind of fun trying (?!)

And needed longer in tinning solution! All the traces are fine just not showing well in picture if they are not tinned enough.

DSC_0027.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.57 MB
 Viewed:  347 Time(s)

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.93 MB
 Viewed:  339 Time(s)

DSC_0026.JPG

gabbagabi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks good, props
ive never heard about "Laser print onto radiator paint with cheap chinese yellow transfer paper"

is this completly new? or you have some links to read or watch about?
Ayab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the kind words. I did not see it anywhere but was inspired by the acetone transfer method - which is ok but does not always result in a very clear 'silkscreen'.

So I thought white paint on the back of the pcb would help toner transfer to stick and be nice and clear. I tried radiator paint as it should be more heat resistant.

Toner transfer onto radiator paint with just normal laser printer paper was ok but the paper did not rub off so easily. I tried the cheap yellow transfer and it was much better. Make sure you tape the cheap yellow paper onto a sheet of normal laser printer paper as "carrier paper" or it gets caught up in your printer (as I discovered)

(Only drawback is the paint can melt, into some holes, when ironing the transfer on but I reckon it is possible to do it to just avoid melting into holes).

Let me know if you want further details and I am happy to describe the method. It is very easy.
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've also heard of using shiny magazine paper for toner transfer, too. Probably cheaper, since people usually throw that stuff away.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Magazine paper can work if you get some thick glossy stuff but it can transfer more than you'd like.
The yellow transfer paper is very cheap though, if you are willing to wait for shipping.
Although last time I ordered it they send it folded which is a bit annoying as it's creased now.

Quote:
Make sure you tape the cheap yellow paper onto a sheet of normal laser printer paper as "carrier paper" or it gets caught up in your printer (as I discovered)

Yep, and use tape that is heat resistant! I prefer painters tape myself. Also only secure it at the (top)side that feeds into the printer.
I usually print it first on paper and then tape the tranfer paper to that print so I know the position and don't have to use a whole sheet.

gabbagabi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phobos the master of perf is even etching his own perfboards?!?! Shocked Cool Laughing Rolling Eyes
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

etching wouldn't be so bad, although a bit mad,. but drilling it Shocked

I use toner transfer to makes frontpanels for my euro-rack modules, like this:

Ayab

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that is a good looking Rings panel right there! respect

I have tried the glossy paper and agree that using that is probably a better idea. But I had some of the yellow stuff from pcb etching and it works ok. For pcb's I like the blue press and peel although it is a bit expensive.
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://synthtech.com/waveedit/

A very nice website to get acquainted with wavetables, how they sound and look like.

waveedit.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  281.51 KB
 Viewed:  280 Time(s)

waveedit.PNG

gabbagabi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sometimes we use drills by hand

always wanted to have a kind of handle for the drills
found one which is in my pricerange Very Happy
it works better then initially expected

heat up the drill and press it then into a hotmeltgluestick

Shocked Very Happy Shocked Cool
cheers
gabbagabi

IMG_20191120_132313.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  599.66 KB
 Viewed:  216 Time(s)

IMG_20191120_132313.jpg

Last edited by gabbagabi on Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

neat, that might come in useful some day Very Happy
I usually just wrap some tape around it but for very small drillbits this seems more practical.

Ayab

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use a rubber band doubled over a few times works well.

A rubber band works amazingly well to open difficult jars to (sorry for the girly tip! :oops)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 5 [113 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: